This past year was very different then any year in the previous decade or for that matter of my lifetime. The world changed rapidly. Everything is accelerating. I spent alot of time this year writing code. I wrote code for fetching and transforming data for machine learning, I wrote a ton of next.js react and graphQL based web applications and I wrote more Kotlin and learned more about the lower infrastrucutre automation tools and devops practionining. I am learning more about Deep Learning. I spent alot of time learning about Zero Knowledge Proof circuits and how they can be applied to B2B automation. The world is somewhat polarized, collaboratively filtered to ones view and group. This filtering is breaking some of the discourse that is needed to resolve issues, to advance society. Bitcoin and Blockchain and AI is accelerating fast as the world watches the US and China compete for the future.
I am trying to think of how I usually write this post. This past year at some point I switched from Wordpress to Next.js. The reason being it is just an awesome framework to code in and a much newer way to write and deploy websites. I am still adding more components / widget like features to the platform but overall I am excited about the development experience with next.js (npm run it) and tailwind, and deploying to Vercel. (now --prod)
This past year I learned a good amount of things it seems like:
- I wrote alot of Kotlin and updated the Stateset Network
- I wrote alot of Next.js, GraphQL and Serverless APIS
- I learned how to code Cosmos-SDK Based Blockchains in GO
- I learned more about DeFi, Compound, AAVE, CRV, YFI, SNX
- I learned how to leverage Segment CDP for customer data platform and event tracking
- I learned how to use and implement Plaid
- I learned how to use GraphQL much more
- I learned about how to schedule, fetch, transform eCommerce data for Machine Learning.
- I learned how to implement Search Indices in Algolia
- I started learning PyTorch and Fast.ai for Deep Learning models.
- I learned different prompts for OpenAI's GPT-3 and implemented chat and doc gen on Stateset.
- I learned alot more about Shopify development, including their GraphQL API, Script Tags, Embedded Applications and Design System
- I started learning and using Tailwind CSS
- I learned about the Baseline Protocol and applied it to Salesforce using DappSuite
This is going into the 9th year writing this website domsteil.com, I am over 100,000 views all time.
This year I read and reread some great books:
- Deep Learning for Coders with fast.ai and PyTorch - Howard & Gugger
- Programming PyTorch for DeepLearning - Pointer
- Deep Learning with Python - Francoius Chollet
- Financial Services Revolution - Alex Tapscott
- Working in Public - Nadia Eghsal
- The Infinite Machine - Camila Russo
- Kotlin Cookbook - Kousen
- Programming Bitcoin - Jimmy Song
Focus for 2021
- Build Stateset Platform and Stateset Network
- Build a Better Product that my Customers Love
- Talk to Customers and Better understand the Customer
- Launch the Stateset Blockchain using Cosmos-SDK
- Becoming an expert in data driven programming with PyTorch
- Learn more about DevOps tooling and ecosystem
- Learn more about TEE and enclaves, Privacy Compute
- Run 300 miles, stretch more after running (Coros)
- Lift Heavy (Bench, Cleans, Lifts)
- Mandarin on Duolingo every day for 30 minutes
- Keep a daily journal and a physical calendar
- Say my autosuggestion every morning and every night
- Eat Healthy (Oatmeal, Eggs, Leaf Greens, Quinoa, Black Beans, Avocado, Chicken and Steak)
- Drink more water
build, keep, learn, write, read.
Some highlights from 2020
- Moved back to SF in March
- Got engaged to the love of my life
- Increased revenue and customers for Stateset
Stateset, Crypto and data driven programming (ML/DL) is what I am focusing on this upcoming year.
I am spending more time doing development using this pattern and leveraging JSX with next.js but have started exploring Tailwind as well. On a good day during the beginning of quarantine I was writing code for 14 - 16 hours a day on and off. The most productive hours/ write when I wake up and write late night hours from 10-2. Calls / Demos during the day.
This year I focused most of my time building out the Stateset Platform and Stateset Network.
The platform is focused on two problems we have heard from eCommerce businesses; aggregating all of the data and workflows across thier apps into one central and modern web platform, and intercompany processes and transactions. We have developed the core Stateset platform user interface, GraphQL APIs and Stateset Network APIS. We have integrated tons of technology using serverless api paths; everything for fintech, AI, notifications; all follow a similar API pattern in the platform.
We have created integrations with Shopify, WooCommerce, Zendesk, ShipStation, Stripe, HubSpot, Salesforce, FedEx, Quickbooks, Slack and other graph endpoints.
Stateset is quickly becoming a central platform and OS for eCommerce businesses without the hassle of months of integration and legacy tech. We are setting up the platform to provide financing and factoring as well using the stateset network.
This year I created my second Salesforce ISV, Polrlake. The Polrlake app is for connecting Salesforce to Corda business networks. This connector allows for intercompany transactions between Salesforce orgs.
Leveraging data from multiple sources and pulling them into one platform and learning how to make predictions based on tabular structured data. I learned alot about the data architecture being used to create and train models based on data. I implemented different ways to acquire data for machine learning; leveraging web scrapers, leveraging json to csv parsers, leveraging cron services to schedule the rest call to retrieve the json, parse it to csv and then send via sftp. I studied different machine learning techniques as well including SGD, dot, decision trees, random forrest, CNN, RNN. The pytorch framework has a great api for doing data driven programming and it works on structured and unstructureured data.
This year I turning the flywheel and I was able to come up with my own personal flywheel.
My personal flywheel is:
- 1) Identify Breakthrough disruptive technology
- 2) Develop Deep Understanding and Macro Perspective on Impact
- 3) Create Application of New Technology and Productize
- 4) Share with Initial Customers, Shareholders for Feedback
- 5) Launch into distribution channel once refined with initial feedback.
- 6) Invest Profits into R&D to identify new disuptive technology
Disciplined People, Disciplined Though, Disciplined Action, Building to Last
I am spending more time researching numerology and other metaphysics. Overall the past year is discovered the in numerology I am a double 7 life path which is a 34/7 born on the 25th. I am also looking more into vedic astrology but for the most part I would say numerology seems to be profound and something that I pay more attention to than even a year ago. I write, learn or earn on certain days.
I am really interested in other types of metaphysics, breathing, meditation techniques. I have been doing more research into the Wim Hof method and other breathing and meditation techniques; as well as cold showers. Even before reading about the Wim Hof method I used to take cold showers after working out and always felt more energized afterwards.
Bitcoin hit an all time high this year on 12/31 it crossed $29,300.
I still remember first using bitcoin to buy coffee and breakfast burritos in Tucson back in 2013 after waking up and seeing my Antminer S1 had generated some coins for contributing to Slush's pool. I still remember the sound of the miners, restarting the USB miners using the cli from my raspberry pi computer and creating spreadsheets of how much money I would make that month based on my Hashrate and Price of Bitcoin.
I am still very bullish on Bitcoin and believe that one day things will only valued in Bitcoin or Land property. I am interested in integrating the Bitcoin Lightning Network into Stateset for global real-time payments and entering multiple markets simultaneously for a more cohesive feedback loop and faster time to market.
I created the Syndicate DAO and sent the first membership tokens with voting weights in the DAO. The Syndicate DAO is created with Aragon and is a decentralized fund of funds. The Syndicate DAO will be used for providing defi strategies, aggregating liquidity to pools, and providing capital to crypto hedgefunds. For now I am just focused on distributing membership tokens for voting to begin on certain proposals. One thing that needs to evolve is the fees for the gas for even casting a yes or no vote. It seems high at the moment but maybe will change over time.
To learn more about the Syndicate check out syndicate.finance
We are in the golden age of DeFi and there are new protocols that are building a net new web of global web for financial services. I am very excited about the future of DeFi, Ethereum, Cosmos and Substrate.
Gas fees for DeFi have also been very high this year but for the most part the rewards for withdrawals and other functions are worth the varrying cost.
Another new factor is the emergence of portfolio dashboards like Zapper and Zerion which provide a level of abstraction for investing, farming, staking and other defi functions; and they can be accessed via Desktop or Mobile.
I am very excited about different lending protocols, stablecoin AMMs, AMMS in general, and the composability and web effect that is being created.
I think L2 solutions plus this defi composability is going to have a big effect this year.
We are in the golden age of Web Development and the frameworks and tools are allowing us to build fast, powerful and global web applications. I am spending the majority of my time on web application development and reading into new technologies that I can apply to the Stateset Platform. Compared to the legacy app platforms I learned to code on, I have a much more open and free framework in that the richness and accessibility of importing different libraries and technologies is very rapid. There are very few limitations, there are tons of open-source examples to build upon, documentation is becoming excellent across the web, and we are still in the early innings. I am very excited about the future of web development, react, graphQL, crypto and deep learning.
Definiteness of purpose, the knowledge of what one wants, and a burning desire to possess it. I will continue to build the mastermind group and devote my energy to drive combinatorial creativity through technology and people.
Happy New Year from Park City.
Live the Dream.